The Faithful Hound

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

On being cool

Opening disclaimer: I know that it's completely un-cool to write about being cool, but anyway here goes...

Someone at work sent around this ridiculous video link of a group of desis dancing like jackasses around a swimming pool and then I never heard the end of it.
"Hey, the one on the left looks a little like you.", "Wow, you guys really know how to party back in India." and "So, why are they swimming in their clothes ?"
I had to face up to the question that's always been left unspoken at the back of my mind. Are Indians really an un-cool people? Speaking of which, what exactly does it mean to be 'cool'?
What is it about so many of my countrymen that sometimes makes me laugh, blush or cringe?
I think I have two possibilities here. Either there's something wrong with me or there's something wrong with them.
Let's explore the first possibility. Could it be that I am so sensitive about being a foreigner in the US that, even after all these years, I still try to disassociate myself from desis who are fresh off the boat (FOBs) because they remind me of my roots?
It's possible, but unlikely. I never tire of talking to people about my Indian roots. Most of my friends here are Indians, some of whom I have known since childhood. While I am not uncomfortable around Americans, I find their sense of individualism a little chilling and I usually prefer the company of people I can be more comfortable around. That being said, I accept that I am affected more by socially inept Indians than I am by similarly behaving people of other nationalities.
Could it be then, that I'm an arrogant ass who pooh-poohs at those who I feel are less sophisticated? Again, I won't deny the charge, friends have often called me stand-offish, but no one has ever accused me of being a snob. Four years at a small town engineering college kicked all the big city snootiness out of me and instilled in its place an appreciation for the simpler side of India. I don't think I have ever looked down on those who were brought up without privileges since then, and I have always had friends I could never introduce to the genteel.
That brings me to the second possibility. Is there something about many Indians that makes them look ridiculous while remaining oblivious to the fact? (Notice how I say "them", and not "us". I don't think any one considers themselves to not be cool.) I think back to groups of desis eating at a nice restaurant without taking off their oversized winter jackets, or Indian contractors walking into work with unkempt greasy hair and smelling of garam masala, or of over enthusiastic FOBs at posh nighclubs drinking themselves silly and showing off their Bhangra dance steps on the center of the floor, or of Indian graduate students openly cheating at exams in American universities.
Why does this get to me? I don't know, it just does. I feel as if people judge us expat Indians as a single entity and that somehow the desi who argues with a waiter about why 2 bucks is a good enough tip at a buffet drags me down with him.
Am I saying that Indians are clueless as a community? No, not really. But I think that if we are observed out of our familiar environments, we can be jarring to the senses. By that I mean that when Indians act like Indians in India there's nothing wrong, but when they go to other countries and then only partially alter their behaviour to adapt to a new culture there's a problem. A fakir sitting half naked under a banyan tree in India and smoking pot is cool, put him on a subway train in Boston and he's just a bum. Traditional Kathak dancers are cool, Govinda doing his funky moves in Paris in front of throngs of bemused spectators is not. And, I have to add, spitting paan on the sidewalk in Delhi is not cool, doing it in Manhattan is simply disgusting. Bachchan? - He's just always cool.
Uncouth tourists are not purely an Indian phenomenon. I have an American colleague who hates travelling abroad with his girlfriend because she loudly proclaims that shopkeepers in foreign countries should all learn English.
So I suppose that to be cool, one must either integrate completely with one's environment or stand out completely and unselfconsciously without upsetting one's surroundings, like the Tibetan monks you sometimes see in full regalia walking benignly through the streets of New York. It's the "neither here nor there" crowd that really make me uncomfortable.

14 Comments:

  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger Selma Mirza said…

    Haha, I loved this entry of yours Turtle. I know I will be thinking exactly the way you do, if I do come to the US :-)

    By the way, do you have a picture of monks walking through a crowded New York street? It would be so beautiful.

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger MockTurtle said…

    @evenstar
    Thanks! I did a web hunt for a picture of monks in NY, but could not locate one. I have seen them in the past and I know there was an article in the NY Times a few months ago about an elderly Tibetan monk in the city who's bag had had been stolen and how everyone gathered around to help him. I'll get back to you if I can find the article or any nice pics.

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Tabula Rasa said…

    so how do you define cool anyway?

    or do you just know it when you see it?

     
  • At 10:50 AM, Blogger MockTurtle said…

    @TR
    Ah, now that's a question isn't it?
    Being a scientist (by temperament at least) I would guess that it stems from an evolved form of sexual attraction.
    We used to find a potential mate attractive if they seemed like they would breed healthy babies and take good care of them. So, the desire for tall, strong, clear skinned, good natured mates.
    With social progress I feel that this attraction has been tempered with the need to find a mate who is also socially respected and can achieve greater status, thereby providing their partner and progeny with greater social standing. These are the people we label 'cool' and they need not be healthy or sweet natured, as long as they have other characteristics that generate respect among peers (smooth talkers, good dancers, sharp dressers and people who posess other social skills).

     
  • At 9:35 AM, Blogger ozymandiaz said…

    There is a lot to comment on here. First off, everyone looks like a dork out of context (as you have somewhat explained in your post). Seriously, I have seen things so embarrassing that people should want to shoot themselves for being from this country. And I have always found that laughing at others is apparently easier that laughing at ones self. It also assists the false sense of superiority. I think the whole "us and them" mentality is just inherent to human nature.
    And that is truly what all of this stems from.
    As for being cool, well, it's a misnomer. Being cool is subversive to truly being cool. What? Let me explain. Anyone who "tries" to be cool is actually in a conformist mode. Before being cool was known as being cool it was simply being nonconformist or a rebel. It is a natural inclination of youth to push boundaries. Cool was subverted by certain industries and powers that be to rain in such activity. If energy is spent trying to be cool than less energy is spent truly defying the system. I say to hell with being cool, be a geek or a nerd, they are the ones who change the world. Cool people never change a thing, they ostracize the true renegade.

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger MockTurtle said…

    @anu
    Thanks! I have visited your blog a few times. Nice poetry.

    @ozymandiaz
    I agree. Hence my initital disclaimer - once you label something as being 'cool' (especially yourself) it isn't really cool any more.
    Two points:
    First, I don't think it is actual non-conformance that makes you cool. I can think of several disgusting things that I could do that would not conform to society and would also certainly not be cool. I think it is gaining society's respect (often subconsciously) that makes you cool. A rebel is cool because a lot of people would like to be him, but lack the courage or conviction. Charles Manson was a non-conformist, but was not cool because no one could relate to his motives.
    Second, my post was not so much on how to achieve 'coolness'. Like you said - attempting to do so negates any chance of success. It was more about people who travel to a different culture and then stand out because of their inability to shed traits picked up from their prior environment.

     
  • At 10:16 AM, Blogger Tabula Rasa said…

    back to evolution, are we? :-) here's a less biological, more social-scientific way of looking at it.

    if you haven't come across it already, "hip: the history" by john leland is a very good read. it details the origins of hipness -- the word having descended from the west african wolof words hepi, which means to see, and hepikat (today's "hip cat"), for the state of having ones eyes open. so a hip cat is basically someone who's in the know.

    the concept of coolness comes from this state of being hip. one is cool if one knows, and lets on that one knows, and lets on that one doesn't or won't necessarily let on.

    the desi oye pungra oye crowd doesn't mess around at this level of reticence. (actually, neither does anyone who's wearing their heart on their sleeve.) hence uncool.

     
  • At 12:01 PM, Blogger MockTurtle said…

    @TR
    It always comes back to evolution, doesn't it? :)
    Hadn'theard of Leland's book - thanks for the pointer.
    Fascinating insights. So, someone who is perceived to be cool is in fact a person we beleive to understand the system better than we do, but who does not advertise the fact? Would you consider politicians cool? What about Dick Cheney? He's certainly in the know and lets on to it and lets on to the fact that he will not divulge much. Wouldn't really call him 'cool' though.
    I'll stick to my evolved sexual attraction theory.
    Maybe it's a mix of the two - you have to be sexy in the normal mode as well as having unique insights and knowledge.

     
  • At 12:07 AM, Blogger Tabula Rasa said…

    ha! nice counterexample! but by your mate-selection standard, one could never find someone of the same gender (or let's say the gender that one isn't attracted to) cool. also, i wasn't talking about knowing *the system* -- it's more like knowing something that others would also like to know, for social/self-image rather than economic, political, or whatever other purposes.

    i agree there definitely has to be an attraction between the observer and the cool person (cooler and coolie?) -- just not sure it needs to be sexual. after all, the first person who comes to my mind when i think of 'cool' is miles davis, and i'd rather not be thinking what you're thinking :-D

     
  • At 12:50 AM, Blogger wildflower seed said…

    Miles was both cool and electric.

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger MockTurtle said…

    @TR, VB
    Well, I could launch into a short diatribe on latent homosexuality in every man - but I'll leave that to a braver blogger than I :)
    Instead let me expand on my original theory.
    Possibly 'coolness' is perceived in an individual whom we would like to emulate, and not neccessarily one we are attracted to.
    After reading your entry, I counducted a short survey targeting the female of our species (survey population = 1), and came to the conclusion that women and men tend to find the same subset of people to be cool, and that most of these peple are men.
    This leads me to beleive that the whole thing is more complicated than I first suspected.
    I guess in order to be cool, you have to exude sexual charm that is compounded with attributes that others beleive bring you social respect and should be emulated.
    Unfortunately, due to generations of gender bias, people do not always associate womenly attributes with social dominance or success, so we do not find too many women to be cool.
    Now, don't go throwing examples at me to prove me wrong, because although there are exceptions - they are the minority.

     
  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Tabula Rasa said…

    hey, you started the example-throwing!

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you should watch this movie called "crash"...its like a movie version of your entry.

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Blogger qsg said…

    When we see someone who manifests our worst traits (stuff we have an inferiority complex for) - it's almost like being faced with a mirror with a mangnification of 4x on a bad face day. Making us more disgusted with ourselves, and instead of attacking the problem, we just blame the stimulus.

    I totally identify with it. Although, I am not particularly upset about the Indian quirks, or the other things Indian - but, when I see stuff that I have always hated - like spitting on the streets, lack of civil sense etc being used with gay (?) abandon here, it truly upsets me and wants me to dissociate myself from my own community, at the risk of being called a snob! But, then I would do the same thing in India, probably!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home